NHLC’s current case load continues to build on the significant decisions handed down in the past. We are currently working on:
Stopping the Loss of Ancestral Lands by...
- Defending against an adverse possession claim on two parcels of land in Molokai
- Defending against an adverse possession claim on a parcel of land in Maui
Mending Broken Promises to Hawaiians by...
- Contesting the State’s failure to provide any funds to support the operations of the Department of Hawaiian Homelands (Nelson v. HHCA)
- Ensuring that the Department of Hawaiian Homelands provides adequate infrastructure, mainly water, to homesteaders (Honokaia ‘Ohana v. Park)
Looking to the past to fight for the future of Hawaiians by...
- Fighting for the revitalization of streams in East Maui to support taro cultivation and traditional and customary subsistence practices
- Remedying the harm done to historic sites in Koloa, Kauai, including a historic trail, Hapa Trail (Blake v. County of Kauai Planning Department)
- Challenging a permit application to allow for an advanced technology telescope on the summit of Haleakala, a place of spiritual and cultural significance to Native Hawaiians, on behalf of Kilakila o Haleakaka
This is a selection of our current docket. For more information about our work, please contact us to sign up for our newsletter.
Your donation will enable the Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation to provide effective, low cost legal assistance to individuals, families and communities who seek to protect their traditional cultural practices and maintain their ancestral ties to their lands and natural resources.